Zoodles w Sausage, Favas and a Duo of Ricottas
Take zucchini noodles over the top with this simple to make one pan supper. The bright springy flavor combo of lemon-mint-chili never fails … and it only improves when paired with tender favas, savory sausage, and a decadent double-dose of ricotta!
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 lb Italian turkey sausage casing removed
- 1 TB minced garlic
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes plus additional for garnish
- ¼ cup sweet vermouth
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 1 TB lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 8 cups zucchini noodles ~4 small zucchini
- 2 cups cooked de-shelled fava beans
- 1/2 cup torn mint leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh ricotta
- 1/2 cup crumbled ricotta salata
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sausage and cook, breaking sausage up with a wooden spoon, for 7-10 minutes or until browned.
- Add garlic and hot pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute. Add vermouth and cook until nearly evaporated, scraping up brown bits. Add chicken broth, lemon juice and zest, zucchini noodles, and favas and cook for 3-4 minutes, tossing with tongs, until zoodles are tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with mint leaves, both ricottas, and optional additional red pepper flakes for punch.
Slash prep with pre-packaged zoodles from your market (they’re becoming widely available!) Frozen favas are another lifesaver if you can’t find fresh at the market. Just cook for 1-2 minutes in hot water and remove the outer skins. If you can't find favas feel free to substitute frozen peas instead!
Calories: 348kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 60mg | Sodium: 803mg | Potassium: 1223mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 1115IU | Vitamin C: 84.6mg | Calcium: 187mg | Iron: 9.7mg