Wheat Berry Salad with Roasted Beets
The delicious pairing of beets, orange and goat cheese come together in a fun new way for this incredible salad. Try it warm, room temp or chilled. It's great no matter how you serve it!
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 lb fresh beets
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 2 tbs orange juice
- 1 tbs orange marmalade
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions white and light green portions
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Scrub beets and place in a foil lined baking pan, sprayed with cooking spray. Spray beets lightly with cooking spray, sprinkle with kosher salt, cover tightly with foil, and roast until beets are tender, approximately 1 hour.
- Allow to cool slightly and rub with paper towels to remove skin. Dice beets and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, cover wheat berries with 2 inches of water and stir in 1 tsp kosher salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until wheat berries are tender, approximately 1 hour. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl, combine orange juice, orange marmalade, olive oil, vinegar, and 1 tsp kosher salt. Gently toss together wheat berries, beets, orange vinaigrette, scallions, and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with goat cheese and serve.
The beets and wheat berries can both be cooked several days in advance of serving this salad. Simply rewarm them and toss with remaining ingredients when you plan to serve the salad.