Warm Wheat Berry Salad with Apples, Walnuts & Cranberry Dressing
This healthy side is a fantastic addition to classic roast turkey or fall pork dishes that's as tasty warm as it is at room temperature. The dressing uses fresh cranberries and orange juice to create a tart, tasty topping.
Servings: 6 serving
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 3 ½ cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup fresh or defrosted frozen cranberries
- 2 TB orange juice
- 2 TB minced shallot
- 1 TB walnut oil
- 1 ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- ¾ cup celery thinly sliced
- 1 cup granny smith apple diced small (1 medium)
- ¼ cup toasted walnuts chopped small
- Combine wheat berries, water, and ½ tsp salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 1 hour or until wheat berries are tender but retain some chew.
- Meanwhile puree cranberries, orange juice, shallot, walnut oil, sugar, thyme, ¼ tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper in a small Kitchen Aid mixer or blender. When wheat berries are done, drain and return to saucepan. Stir in cranberry dressing, apple, celery, and walnuts. Serve warm or room temperature.