This all-vegetarian version of classic warm spinach salad uses sun dried tomatoes and soy bacon bits. Basil, mushroom, red onion and blue cheese make it a great treat for a tasthy lunch or brunch!
- 5 oz package baby spinach
- 2 cups thin sliced radicchio
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups thin sliced red onion
- 8 oz package sliced cremini mushrooms ~3 cups
- 8 sun dried tomatoes dried, not in oil coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp salt divided
- 1 TB balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 TB chopped fresh basil
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 4 hard boiled eggs sliced
- 2 TB crumbled reduced fat blue cheese
- ¼ cup crumbled soy bacon bits
Combine spinach and radicchio in a large salad bowl. Set aside. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add onion and mushroom and sprinkle with ½ tsp salt. Cook, stirring frequently until mushroom begins to brown and onion is softened approximately 7 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in sun dried tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, additional ½ tsp salt, pepper, and basil. Immediately toss hot onion mixture into spinach/radicchio to lightly wilt. Garnish salad with egg slices, blue cheese, and pita chips.