Warm Chicken Spinach Salad with Bacon, Apples & Blue Cheese
You can whip this savory salad up in a flash and instantly hits the spot thanks to a delicious bacon vinaigrette you make right in the pan.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 TB cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 5 oz package baby spinach
- 2 cups radicchio coarsely chopped
- 6 oz lowfat bacon center cut loin, ~ 6 slices, cut crosswise into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 cup red onion thinly sliced (~ 1 large)
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms sliced (~3 ½ cups)
- 2 cups cooked chicken chopped
- 1 large Granny Smith apple thinly sliced (~ 1 ¼ cups)
- 2 TB crumbled blue cheese
Mix vinegar, mustard, salt, & pepper in a small bowl. Toss spinach and radicchio in a large serving bowl. Set aside.
Place bacon in a large non-stick sauté pan over low heat, cook, stirring frequently, until crispy and browned or ~ 7-8 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Increase heat to high, add onions and mushrooms and cook, stirring often, for 6-7 minutes or until beginning to brown. Stir in cider mixture and chicken and cook for 1 minute, to heat chicken through.
Toss warm onion, mushroom, chicken mixture with tossed greens to wilt lightly. Garnish with bacon, apple and blue cheese and serve warm.