Veggie-Kale Soup w Sage
Get more dark leafy greens into your diet with this delicious, hearty veggie soup. Fresh sage adds the perfect touch of flavor to roasted butternut squash, carrots and celery, while a pinch of red pepper flakes gives it just a tiny hit of heat.
Servings: 8 servings
- Olive Oil cooking spray
- 6 cups cubed butternut squash
- 2 cups diced onion
- 2 cups diced carrot
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1 tsp salt divided
- ¼ tsp pepper divided
- 2 TB chopped fresh sage divided
- 2 tsp garlic
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups baby kale
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Spread squash out over prepared pan, coat lightly with cooking spray, and season with ½ tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Roast for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring once halfway through.
- While squash roasts coat a large nonstick soup pot with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery and season with remaining ½ tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables soften (8-10 minutes).
- Add 1 TB sage, garlic, and hot pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute. Add chicken broth, increase heat to bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes or until squash is done.
- Add kale, roasted squash, remaining chopped sage, and lemon juice. Serve garnished with chopped fresh parsley.
Calories: 106kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 4g | Sodium: 782mg | Potassium: 870mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 403.1% | Vitamin C: 96% | Calcium: 15% | Iron: 10.8%