Veggie Escarole Minestrone
A healthier version of traditional minestrones, this soup uses 2 types of beans and tons of delicious veggies. It's a perfect cozy soup for chilly fall nights.
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 cup carrot diced
- 1 ½ tsp salt divided
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 head escarole washed, chopped (~3 cups)
- 1 TB garlic minced
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- 2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes in Italian seasoning
- 1 15 oz can chick peas rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ cups small whole wheat pasta such as shells or elbows
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- ¼ cup basil chopped
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large stock pot. Add onion, carrot, ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until softened (~10 minutes).
- Add escarole and sauté for 1 minute to wilt. Add garlic and red pepper and cook for 1 minute. Add stock tomatoes, chick peas, kidney beans, and green beans and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package instructions (~7 minutes). Stir in additional 1 tsp salt, parmesan and basil and serve.