Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes with Chicken Sausage & Apples
A hearty, flavorful twist on classic twice-baked potatoes, this scrumptious side gets its magic from sneakily healthy, savory chicken and apple sausage.
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped shallot
- 2 smoked chicken and apple sausage links chopped
- 1/2 cup peeled diced apple
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 cup shredded skim mozzarella
- Prick holes in sweet potatoes, place on a microwave-safe plate, and cook for 5-7 minutes or until tender. When potatoes have slightly cooled, cut in half lengthwise, scoop flesh into a large bowl, and mash. Reserve sweet potato skins.
- Heat olive oil in a medium nonstick skillet and cook shallot for 3-5 minutes or until softened, add sausage and apple and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Combine with mashed sweet potato, sage, and salt. Add ¼ cup cheese and stuff mixture back into sweet potato skins.
- Top each with remaining 1 TB shredded cheese. Bake in 350 oven for 10-15 minutes to heat mixture through and melt cheese.
Feel free to substitute other flavors of pre-cooked chicken sausage such as apple and sage, sweet Italian, or plain.