- 2 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 TB kosher salt divided
- 2 TB thinly sliced garlic
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes
- 3 35 oz cans crushed San Marzano tomatoes in juice
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 TB no-salt Italian seasoning
- 1 TB sugar
- 1 lb ground turkey
- ½ cup plain breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup fine-grated parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ tsp no-salt Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
Heat oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add onions and sprinkle with 1 TB salt. Cook, stirring often, until golden and softened, about 10-15 minutes. Add chili flakes and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, basil, Italian seasoning, remaining 1 TB salt, and sugar to pot. Bring to a simmer, stirring often.
While sauce simmers, combine all meatball ingredients in a large bowl. Shape into 30 1” meatballs and add to simmering sauce. Cook for 35-40 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.
If you like your sauce completely smooth, use a blender or immersion blender to purée it before adding the meatballs to simmer.