Tofu Stir Fry with Peanut Sauce
Sweet and spicy peanut sauce adds huge flavor to this totally vegan stir fry with tofu.
Servings: 2 servings
- 1 12 oz package firm tofu sliced 1/4 “ thick
- 2 TB creamy peanut butter
- 2 TB warm water
- 2 TB low sodium soy sauce
- 1 TB dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- ½ tsp sambaloelek or more to taste
- ½ tsp rice wine vinegar
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup julienne carrots
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/3 cup sliced scallions
- 2 TB toasted sesame seeds
- Place the tofu slices on paper towels, place another paper towel on top and press down with a plate.Whisk together peanut butter, soy sauce, water, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, sambaloelek, and rice wine vinegar.Reserve.
- Coat a large non-stick skillet or wok with cooking oil on high heat. Add tofu and cook 1-2 minutes per side or until it begins to brown. Remove from pan and reserve. Add peppers and snap peas and season with kosher salt.Stir fry for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add cabbage, carrots and peanut sauce. Toss to coat and cook until cabbage wilts another 1-2 minutes. (If the sauce appears too thick stir in some additional water). Stir in seared tofu and scallions and serve garnished with sesame seeds.