Sweet & Sour Caraway Cabbage with Back Bacon
This sweet, tangy cabbage dish is delicious with roast pork, chicken, or bratwurst. Make it even easier by using pre-shredded cabbage from the produce section.
Servings: 4 servings
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 2 tsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 TB butter
- 1 large red onion thinly sliced (~ 2 cups)
- 3 oz Canadian bacon diced (5 slices, ½ package, ~1/2 cup)
- 1 tsp kosher salt plus additional for seasoning
- 12 oz shredded red cabbage ~8 cups
- Whisk together vinegar, sugar, mustard, and caraway seeds in a small bowl. Reserve. Heat butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bacon, and salt and cook for 5 minutes until onions are softened and lightly browned.
- Toss in cabbage and cook for 5 minutes longer, until slightly wilted. Remove from heat, pour vinegar mixture over, season to taste, and serve warm.