Sweet Potato Curry Soup with Lime & Cilantro
This creamy Indian spiced soup gets its texture from puréed sweet potatoes rather than the usual heavy cream. It's a great make-ahead dish to feed a crowd, too.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 TB minced garlic
- 1 TB minced ginger
- 2 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 ½ lb sweet potatoes peeled and chopped (~5 medium or 7 ½ cups)
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 8 tsp chopped cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and salt and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until onion has softened.
- Add garlic, ginger, curry powder, and garam masala and cook for 1 minute. Add chicken broth and sweet potatoes and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes until sweet potato is soft. Transfer to a blender (or use an immersion blender in pot) to puree soup. Stir in lime juice and serve each bowl garnished with 1 tsp cilantro.