Super Spicy Gumbo with Shrimp, Red Beans & Andouille
A fast-cooking gumbo gets a dose of heat and tang from bottled cherry peppers. This is a great, hearty dish on its own but it's also awesome served over brown rice.
Servings: 1 serving
- 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion 1 small
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper 1 small
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 3 bottled cherry peppers seeds removed, chopped fine
- 1 link andouille chicken sausage quartered lengthwise, diced, fully cooked
- 1 15 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes with chilis drained
- 1/2 cup canned red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 4 large peeled deveined shrimp (16-20ct size)
- 1 tbsp minced parsley optional
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a small saucepan. Add onion and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, until slightly softened. Add garlic, cherry peppers, and sausage and cook for additional minute. (Stand back from the pan. The vinegar cooking off is pretty strong.)
- Add tomatoes, beans, and shrimp. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook for 5-6 minutes until shrimp are completely opaque. Stir in parsley and serve.
If spicy isn’t your thing, use less (or zero) cherry peppers in this dish.If you really like it hot, leave the seeds in, but be warned!