Summer Squash Napoleons with Herbed Ricotta
Layer creamy herbed ricotta between slices of grilled veggies for a beautiful, delicious summery side. Fresh tomato salsa makes the perfect topping.
Servings: 4 servings
- 3/4 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbs minced scallion
- 1 tbs minced mint
- 1 tbs minced basil
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Tomato Topping
- 2 small plum tomatoes
- 1 tbs minced scallion
- 1 tsp minced mint
- 1 tsp minced basil
- 1/3 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1 large yellow squash
- 1 large zucchini
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- Combine ingredients to make herbed ricotta, reserve, chilled. Combine ingredients to make tomato topping, reserve at room temperature. Slice squash and zucchini crosswise into 8 ¼” thick slices each. Spray with cooking spray and toss with salt. Coat a grill or grill pan with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Grill squash slices for 8-10 minutes or until softened and grill marks are evident. Let cool to room temperature.
- To assemble napoleons layer one slice squash, spread with 1½ tsp ricotta, layer one slice zucchini, spread with 1 ½ tsp ricotta, one slice squash, spread with 1 ½ tsp ricotta,
- Top with one slice zucchini and finish with 1 TB ricotta. Garnish with 2 TB Tomato Topping and serve immediately.
Herbed ricotta can be made up to one day ahead and stored in the refrigerator. Be sure to let grilled squash cool a bit so napoleons stay layered.