Steak & Grilled Avocado Soft Tacos
Grilled avocados give the perfect flavorful touch to flank steak, peppers and scallions for a super tasty weeknight supper or party dish.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 3/4 tsp chipotle chili pepper
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 2 red peppers
- 12 medium scallions
- 1 avocado
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb flank steak
- 12 small corn tortillas
- 1/3 cup minced red onion
- 1/2 cup crumbled cojita cheese or feta
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves torn
- 2 limes cut into wedges
- Hot sauce for serving
- Combine salt, garlic, chili pepper, and cumin in a small bowl. Core and seed peppers and slice crosswise into 12 rings. Trim scallions and halve widthwise. If white ends are thick slice in half lengthwise. Cut avocado in half and remove the pit. Use a large tablespoon to gently scoop out each half. Brush avocados with olive oil and sprinkle with a bit of spice mixture.
- Place pepper rings and scallions in a large bowl. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and toss with 1 tsp spice mixture. Rub remaining spice mixture into both sides of flank steak. Wrap stack of tortillas in foil. Heat grill to high heat, place foil packet of tortillas on top rack, and cook all veggies and steak together. Grill veggies for 2-3 mins per side or until charred. Grill steak for 4-5 mins per side or until medium rare.
- Let steak rest a few moments before thinly slicing crosswise. Cut each avocado half into 6 even pieces.
- To assemble tacos, mash one avocado piece down the center. Layer with steak, 2 pieces scallion, and 1 pepper ring. Garnish with onion, cotija cheese, and cilantro. Serve with hot sauce and a lime wedge.