Spicy Citrusy Black Beans with Cumin
These citrus-flavored black beans are delicious with rice, and incredible as a burrito filling. Double or triple the recipe easily to feed the whole crew.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp minced chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 15 oz cans black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp TB minced cilantro
- Heat oil over medium-low heat in a medium sized non-stick saucepan. Add onion and salt and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until onion is softened (approximately 7-8 minutes). Add chipotle, cumin, beans, orange juice, and water.
- Mash beans slightly with a potato masher and simmer, uncovered, over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until mixture has thickened slightly.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, stir in lime juiceand cilantro just before serving.
Adjust the thickness of the beans with additional water as needed.