Spicy Chick Pea and Roasted Pepper Shakshouka
This hearty Middle-eastern spiced stew is easy to make with staples from your pantry and perfect for brunch, lunch, or a speedy meatless-Monday supper. This dish is delicious on its own or with crusty bread to dunk into the luscious egg yolks.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 tsp table salt divided
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp spicy smoked paprika
- 1 15 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes in their own juice undrained
- 1 15 oz cans chickpeas drained & rinsed
- 12 oz roasted peppers drained & chopped
- 1 5 oz containers pre-washed baby spinach
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and ½ tsp salt and sauté, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in garlic, cumin, cayenne, and pimentón and cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, roasted peppers, and chickpeas to pan, stir to combine, and mash chickpeas slightly with a potato masher.
- Use tongs to toss in baby spinach, sprinkle mixture with water, and cook, covered for 5-10 minutes or until spinach is wilted (tossing mixture once half-way through). Stir in remaining ½ tsp salt. Carefully crack each egg into a small cup and slide over stew. Cover and cook until whites are set, about 5 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve warm.
This dish is easily halved to serve 2.
Calories: 248kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 172mg | Sodium: 2251mg | Potassium: 805mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 90% | Vitamin C: 80.8% | Calcium: 22.7% | Iron: 30.2%