Spaghetti alla Carbonara
Bring the flavors of Italy to your dinner table any night of the week with this delicious, simple pasta dish. A traditional favorite, our Spaghetti alla Carbonara is sure to earn its way to your regular rotation.
- 2 eggs plus 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/2 cup freshly grated imported Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 cup freshly grated imported Pecorino Romano
- 8 oz pancetta chopped (can sub bacon if needed)
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 lb spaghetti or bucatini if available
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Optional salt for seasoning
- Optional chopped parsley for garnish
- Whisk together eggs, egg yolks, and cheeses in a medium bowl. Reserve at room temperature while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil and add pasta. While pasta cooks heat a 2nd large pot over medium heat.
- Add the pancetta and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until lightly crispy and golden. Add garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute. Turn off the heat but keep pancetta warm.
- When the pasta is done (about 8-10 minutes for al dente), reserve 1 cup of the hot cooking water, then drain pasta and add to the still-warm pancetta. Toss pasta with tongs to coat.
- Slowly whisk ½ cup of hot cooking water into the egg mixture to temper it. Slowly pour egg mixture over hot pasta, stirring constantly to gently cook eggs.
- Add additional cooking water as needed to create a smooth glaze for your pasta.
- Check for seasoning (you may not need additional salt) and serve immediately garnished with pepper and parsley.
Calories: 3157kcal | Carbohydrates: 348g | Protein: 133g | Fat: 131g | Saturated Fat: 50g | Cholesterol: 563mg | Sodium: 3056mg | Potassium: 1707mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 23.1% | Vitamin C: 3.4% | Calcium: 129.6% | Iron: 50.9%