Spaghetti alla Carbonara
Bring the flavors of Italy to your dinner table any night of the week with this delicious, simple pasta dish. A traditional favorite, our Spaghetti alla Carbonara is sure to earn its way to your regular rotation.
Calories: 3157 kcal
- 2 eggs plus 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/2 cup freshly grated imported Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 cup freshly grated imported Pecorino Romano
- 8 oz pancetta chopped (can sub bacon if needed)
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 lb spaghetti or bucatini if available
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Optional salt for seasoning
- Optional chopped parsley for garnish
Whisk together eggs, egg yolks, and cheeses in a medium bowl. Reserve at room temperature while you prepare the rest of the dish.
Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil and add pasta. While pasta cooks heat a 2nd large pot over medium heat.
Add the pancetta and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until lightly crispy and golden. Add garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute. Turn off the heat but keep pancetta warm.
When the pasta is done (about 8-10 minutes for al dente), reserve 1 cup of the hot cooking water, then drain pasta and add to the still-warm pancetta. Toss pasta with tongs to coat.
Slowly whisk ½ cup of hot cooking water into the egg mixture to temper it. Slowly pour egg mixture over hot pasta, stirring constantly to gently cook eggs.
Add additional cooking water as needed to create a smooth glaze for your pasta.
Check for seasoning (you may not need additional salt) and serve immediately garnished with pepper and parsley.