This kid-pleasing dish is a breeze to make in just 20 minutes. This one-dish wonder is full of veggies and perfect for busy school night suppers or lunch box thermoses.
- 2 tsp salted butter
- 1 cup onion finely chopped (~1 large onion)
- 1 ½ tsp salt divided
- 2 32 oz cartons low sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup alphabet-shaped pasta
- 1 10 oz box frozen classic mixed vegetables peas, carrots, corn, green beans
- 1 15 oz can petite cut diced tomatoes rinsed & drained
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 TB grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup chives optional
Melt butter over medium-low heat in a large stockpot. Add onion and ½ tsp salt and cook, stirring often for approximately 10 minutes or until onion is soft and translucent. Add chicken broth, increase heat to high, and bring to a boil.
Add in pasta, frozen mixed vegetables and tomatoes and cook for 7 minutes or until pasta is done. Stir in chicken, parmesan cheese, lemon juice, remaining 1 tsp salt, pepper and chives and cook an additional minute to heat chicken through.