Simple Herbed Croutons
Crispy homemade croutons add a great herbed crunch to salads or soup. Make up a batch and freeze them in baggies. They defrost easily at room temperature.
Servings: 12 servings
- 7 slices white sandwich bread frozen (we used Pepperidge Farm)
- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 2 TB chopped fresh dill
- 2 TB chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- While still frozen, remove the crusts from bread slices. Dice slices into small cubes and set aside (should yield ~ 3 cups bread cubes). Heat olive oil over low-medium heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add garlic and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add bread cubes and salt to skillet, increase heat to medium high, and sauté for 5 minutes. Add chopped herbs to skillet and continue to sauté for an additional 5-8 minutes, until croutons are lightly browned. Remove garlic clove and store croutons in a tightly sealed container.