This light, tasty shrimp and veggie soup gets its amazing flavor from lemongrass, a traditional Asian herb while a bit of lime brightens it all up.
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 8 oz mixed sliced exotic mushrooms shitake, oyster, cremini – I used prepackaged
- 1 TB minced garlic
- 1 TB minced ginger
- 1 TB lemongrass paste or minced lemongrass
- 2 tsp sambal oelek
- 2 red bell peppers thinly sliced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz sliced water chestnuts rinsed & drained
- 2 cups bok choi thinly sliced
- 1 lb medium peeled deveined shrimp
- 1 TB low sodium soy sauce
- 2 TB lime juice
- 2 TB fish sauce
- ½ cup thinly sliced scallion
- cilantro leaves & lime wedges for garnish
Heat sesame oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick soup pot. Add onion and mushrooms and cook for 3-5 minutes or until beginning to soften.
Add garlic, ginger, lemongrass, and sambal oelek and cook for 1 minute. Add bell peppers, chicken broth, and water chestnuts. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
Reduce to a simmer and add bok choi and shrimp. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until shrimp are pink and cooked through. Stir in soy sauce, lime juice, and fish sauce.
Serve garnished with scallion, cilantro leaves, and lime wedges.