Shrimp & Veggie Lemongrass Soup
This light, tasty shrimp and veggie soup gets its amazing flavor from lemongrass, a traditional Asian herb while a bit of lime brightens it all up.
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 8 oz mixed sliced exotic mushrooms shitake, oyster, cremini – I used prepackaged
- 1 TB minced garlic
- 1 TB minced ginger
- 1 TB lemongrass paste or minced lemongrass
- 2 tsp sambal oelek
- 2 red bell peppers thinly sliced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz sliced water chestnuts rinsed & drained
- 2 cups bok choi thinly sliced
- 1 lb medium peeled deveined shrimp
- 1 TB low sodium soy sauce
- 2 TB lime juice
- 2 TB fish sauce
- ½ cup thinly sliced scallion
- cilantro leaves & lime wedges for garnish
- Heat sesame oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick soup pot. Add onion and mushrooms and cook for 3-5 minutes or until beginning to soften.
- Add garlic, ginger, lemongrass, and sambal oelek and cook for 1 minute. Add bell peppers, chicken broth, and water chestnuts. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and add bok choi and shrimp. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until shrimp are pink and cooked through. Stir in soy sauce, lime juice, and fish sauce.
- Serve garnished with scallion, cilantro leaves, and lime wedges.
Calories: 114kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 142mg | Sodium: 1298mg | Potassium: 372mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 19.9% | Vitamin C: 63.7% | Calcium: 10.3% | Iron: 12.1%