Shrimp Scampi with Israeli Couscous & Broccoli
Sautéed lemon-garlic shrimp are divine atop whole wheat Israeli couscous with fresh, flavorful broccoli. Try it as a hearty side or light dinner any night of the week.
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth divided
- 1 cup whole wheat Israeli couscous
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 lb large peeled deveined shrimp
- 1 large shallot minced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- Pinch hot pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Lemon zest
- 3 tbsp minced fresh basil
- Bring 2 cups chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add couscous and broccoli, cover, and cook on low for 8 mins or until broccoli is tender and couscous are cooked. Reserve.
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a large nonstick sauté pan over high heat. Cook shrimp for 2-3 mins per side or until lightly seared and cooked through. Remove to a plate. Add remaining 1 tsp olive oil, shallot, garlic and hot pepper flakes to pan and cook for 1 minute. Add wine and scrape to stir up browned bits.
- Add remaining 2 cups chicken broth and heat on high. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until reduced to a thick sauce. Stir in lemon juice, lemon zest, and basil and add shrimp and accumulated juices to pan. Serve shrimp and garlic sauce over couscous and broccoli.
You can also substitute chopped asparagus for the broccoli for a different flavor twist.