This hearty, healthy, super-speedy supper features the crowd pleasingly amazing flavor combo of lightly sweet butternut squash, savory turkey sausage, and sage. Also excellent to meal prep for the week, plus any leftovers freeze beautifully for another day!
- 1 TB olive oil extra virgin
- 2 cups onion chopped (~2 large)
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 1 1/4 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage sliced thinly
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/2 lbs butternut squash diced (~8 cups)
- 1 TB sage minced
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 19 oz cans cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- fresh ground black pepper for garnish
Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large soup pot. Add onion, sprinkle with 1 tsp salt and sauté for 5-10 minutes until softened.
Add sausage slices and cook for an additional 10 minutes, stirring often until browned on all sides.
Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add chicken broth, squash, sage, and nutmeg. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes or until squash is fork tender.
Add cannellini beans and heat an additional 5 minutes to heat through.
Stir in lemon juice and additional 1 tsp salt (or to taste). Ladle into bowls and serve garnished with Parmesan and pepper.