Savory Turkey Meatball Subs
These simple to make subs are sure to be a hit during the next game night! What's great is that nobody will ever guess they're made with low fat turkey. They're hearty and sneakily healthy at the same time!
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 lb ground white meat turkey
- ½ cup plain breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup fine-grated parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ tsp no-salt Italian seasoning
- 24 oz marinara sauce
- 2 12" Italian bread loaves or 8 3” round hard rolls
- ½ cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and adjust oven racks to top 1/3 of oven. Line two standard-sized baking sheets with parchment paper or cooking spray-covered foil. Combine turkey, breadcrumbs, cheese, egg, Italian seasoning, and 2 tsp kosher salt in a large bowl. Using a tablespoon to scoop, gently shape mixture into ~32, 1 ¼” diameter meatballs. Place 1” apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes, shaking pans every 5 minutes to promote more even browning.
- While meatballs are cooking, heat marinara sauce in a medium saucepan. If using Italian loaves, slice into 8 -3” long pieces. Lightly scoop out the inside of each piece of bread (to help sandwich the meatball filling for easier lap eating). When meatballs are lightly browned and cooked through, remove from the oven and stir them into sauce to coat.
- Place prepared bread on the same baking sheets. Scoop 4 meatballs into each sandwich, topping each with extra marinara sauce as desired. Sprinkle 1 TB cheese on each sandwich and return sheet to oven for 5 minutes, until cheese is melted. Serve with any additional marinara sauce on the side.
Calories: 45340kcal | Carbohydrates: 4214g | Protein: 787g | Fat: 2825g | Saturated Fat: 1534g | Cholesterol: 302mg | Sodium: 34337mg | Potassium: 20938mg | Fiber: 289g | Sugar: 2481g | Vitamin A: 70.5% | Vitamin C: 57.7% | Calcium: 93.5% | Iron: 998.1%