Satay Skewers for Vegans & Carnivores
Want to be sure you're offering something for everyone at your next BBQ? This Vegan-Friendly yet Meat Eater-Satisfying recipe provides options for the whole crowd. An easy marinade lends incredible flavor to both tofu and chicken skewers … and we promise the so-simple, so-addictive peanut sauce will be a hit with both crowds.
Servings: 12 skewers
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- 1 TB seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sambal oelek or hot sauce
- 1 lb chicken tenderloins cut horizontally into 1” cubes
- 14 oz extra firm tofu cut into 1” cubes & patted dry
- 2 red bell peppers cut into 1” chunks
- 36 cremini mushrooms stems discarded
- 1 large bunch scallions cut into 1 “ segments
- 12 skewers
- chopped cilantro and lime wedges for garnish
Peanut Satay Sauce
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 2 TB soy sauce
- 1 ½ TB lime juice
- 1 TB brown sugar
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- sambal oelek or hot sauce to taste
To Make Skewers
- Whisk together soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, and sambal oelek. Drizzle over chicken cubes and tofu cubes (in separate bowls). Let marinate for 30 minutes or up to 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Assemble skewers making half tofu and veggies and the 2nd half chicken and veggies. Coat a grill or grill pan with cooking spray over medium high heat.
- Cook skewers for about 10 minutes turning frequently until chicken is cooked through and tofu is crispy.
- Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges and serve with a small bowl of Peanut Satay Sauce on the side.
To Make Peanut Sauce
- Whisk together all ingredients. Sauce may be made up to 2 days before and kept refrigerated. Just lightly warm in the microwave and re-whisk before serving.
This recipe is easily tripled or doubled to serve a crowd!
Calories: 205kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 548mg | Potassium: 578mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 13% | Vitamin C: 33.1% | Calcium: 2.6% | Iron: 8%