Roasted veggies add tons of flavor to this classic dish, and help you spend less time at the stove. Adding diced tempeh and pine nuts lends a delicious bite to this tasty recipe.
- 1 large eggplant cut into ¼” cubes (1 ½ lb or ~ 8 cups)
- 4 small zucchini cut into ¼” cubes (1 ½ lbs or ~ 4 cups)
- 2 large red peppers cored, seeded, cut into 1/4” dice (~3 cups)
- 1 large onion diced (~2 cups)
- 4 tsp extra virgin olive oil divided
- 2 ½ tsp salt divided
- 2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 TB garlic minced
- 2 tsp fennel seed
- 1 cup tempeh diced small
- ¼ cup fresh basil chopped
- ¾ tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 TB pine nuts toasted
Preheat oven to 450 and line two baking sheets with parchment or cooking spray. In a large bowl, toss eggplant with 2 tsp olive oil and ½ tsp salt. Spread across one sheet. In the same bowl, toss zucchini and peppers with 1 tsp olive oil and ½ tsp salt. Spread across other sheet. Roast in lower 1/3 of oven for ~25 minutes, stirring and rotating pans once during cooking, until vegetables are browned.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp olive oil in a large non-stick sauce pan, sauté onion for ~ 10 minutes on medium or until soft. Add garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute. Add tomatoes, tempeh, and fennel seed, bring to a boil, and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. When roasted veggies are done, combine with tomatoes. Stir in basil, remaining 1 ½ tsp salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar. Serve warm, room temperature, or chilled.
Garnish each serving with 1 tsp pine nuts.