Roasted Turkey Breast with Turkey Bacon & Sage Wrap
Turkey breast stays moist thanks to a flavorful stuffing of sautéed shallots, dried cranberries and thyme, and a turkey bacon wrap. The recipe can be easily doubled for a crowd, or to have leftovers for sandwiches the next day. Just roast them both, side-by-side in the same pan.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 TB plus 1 teaspoon canola oil divided
- 2 cups chopped shallots
- ¼ cup dried cranberries or cherries
- 1 TB chopped fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 boneless skinless turkey breast half, about 2 ¼ pounds
- 12 large sage leaves
- 6 slices lower-sodium turkey bacon
- Fresh sage leaves fresh currants and champagne or red seedless grapes for garnish
- Heat 1 TB of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until golden and tender, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cranberries, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Heat oven to 400º F. Line a shallow roasting pan or a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick foil or regular foil coated with nonstick spray.
- Put turkey on cutting board and butterfly breast by slicing through center of breast horizontally but not going through the other side. Open sliced breast like a book so it lays flat on cutting board. Put shallot mixture on top of breast and spread to within 1/2" of edges. Roll up breast starting at a longer side. Place seam-side down on pan. Lay sage leaves over top, then top with bacon slices, tucking ends under turkey to keep in place. Brush with remaining oil and grind additional pepper over top. Roast until an instant-read thermometer registers 165º F when inserted into center of breast, about 45 to 55 minutes.
- Remove to a cutting board and let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
Calories: 3461kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 517g | Fat: 127g | Saturated Fat: 35g | Cholesterol: 1465mg | Sodium: 4161mg | Potassium: 8650mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 21g | Vitamin A: 8.1% | Vitamin C: 15.5% | Calcium: 15.8% | Iron: 85.7%