Roasted Pepper & Sweet Potato Bisque
The creamy sweetness of the sweet potato blends with Spanish flavors to make this roasted pepper bisque a delicious, cozy treat.
Servings: 6 servings
- 10 red bell peppers seeded and cored
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tsp kosher salt divided
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 sweet potato peeled and diced
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp pimenton smoked paprika
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 TB Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp chopped oregano
- Preheat broiler to high and line two baking sheets with foil. Spread peppers, skin side up evenly across sheets. Broil each pan for 10-15 minutes or until skins are blistered and blackened. Wrap up peppers tightly in foil to steam and release skins. When cool, slip skins off peppers and discard. Coarsely chop peppers.
- Heat oil over medium heat and add onion and 1 tsp kosher salt. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add sweet potato, roasted peppers, spices, and broth. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until sweet potato is soft.
- Remove bay leaf and stir in remaining 1 tsp salt, honey, and Greek yogurt. Use an immersion blender (or regular blender) to puree soup. Serve garnished with oregano.
We prefer the flavor of fresh roasted peppers in this soup but in a pinch, substitute 4 cups of rinsed and drained bottled roasted peppers.
Calories: 719kcal | Carbohydrates: 129g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 4948mg | Potassium: 3630mg | Fiber: 32g | Sugar: 69g | Vitamin A: 56000IU | Vitamin C: 1536.3mg | Calcium: 253mg | Iron: 8.6mg