Roasted Chicken with Root Veggies
Bring back memories of grandma's kitchen with this one-pan dinner that fills your home with a warm, cozy aroma. Plus, it's as impressive as it is ridiculously simple to make.
Servings: 4 servings
- 8 oz baby potatoes washed and quartered (~ 1 ½ cups)
- 3 medium carrots peeled, and cut into ½” slices ( ~ 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 medium parsnips peeled and cut into ½ “ slices (~ 1 ½ cups)
- 1 medium onion chopped (~ 1 cup)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TB kosher salt divided
- 1 TB chopped fresh rosemary divided
- 1 4 lb whole chicken giblets discarded, patted dry
- 1 whole lemon
- 3 TB lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a 9” x 11” brownie pan with 2 layers of aluminum foil (lay in both directions). Toss together potatoes, carrots, parsnips, onion, olive oil, 2 tsp kosher salt, and 2 tsp fresh rosemary in a bowl. Spread across pan. Rub chicken all over with lemon juice and remaining 1 tsp rosemary/ 2 tsp kosher salt. Prick holes with a fork all over lemon and stuff inside cavity of chicken.
- Place chicken in pan, breast side down over vegetables mixture and cook for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and use tongs or two spoons to flip chicken breast side up. Stir vegetables and return to oven for an additional 45 minutes or until a thermometer placed in chicken thigh registers at 180 degrees. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- Serve chicken (either one breast, or one thigh/drumstick) with 1 cup of roasted vegetables and pan sauce drizzled over all.