Indian Spiced Roasted Cauliflower and Chick Pea Stew
This hearty yet healthy dish uses both pureed and roasted cauliflower for a rich and flavorful finish. Filling and satisfying with a tandoori spiced edge, this dish is perfect for dairy free, vegan, and gluten free diets too! It can be made up to 2 days ahead of severing and freezes very well for meal prep.
Servings: 6 servings
- cooking spray
- 8 cups bite sized cauliflower florets divided
- 1 TB curry powder divided
- 1 tsp salt divided
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 cups diced onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 4 cups chicken broth or sub vegetable broth for vegan
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes drained
- 1 15 oz can chick peas rinsed and drained
- 2 cups green beans cut into bite sized pieces
- 5 oz package baby spinach
- 1 TB lime juice
- optional lime wedges and cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place 4 cups cauliflower in a large bowl, spray with cooking spray, and toss with 2 tsp curry powder and ½ tsp salt. Spread on prepared sheet and roast for 30 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
- While cauliflower roasts heat 1 tsp coconut oil in a large soup pot. Add onion and remaining ½ tsp salt and cook for 5 minutes or until slightly softened.
- Add garlic, ginger, mustard seed, cumin seed, and remaining 1 tsp curry powder and cook for 1 minute. Add remaining 4 cups cauliflower florets and broth and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes (or until cauliflower is extremely soft). Use an immersion blender to puree mixture (or transfer to a counter mixer, puree, and return to pot).
- Stir in tomatoes, chick peas, green beans, and spinach and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until green beans are tender. Stir in lime juice and roasted cauliflower and simmer for 1 minute to heat through. Serve garnished with optional cilantro and lime wedges.
Calories: 100kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 2g | Sodium: 1108mg | Potassium: 834mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 6.9% | Vitamin C: 110.5% | Calcium: 9.5% | Iron: 14.6%