Crispy baked-from-frozen steak fries are topped with flavorful homemade marinara sauce and gooey mozzarella cheese for an Italian take on this Canadian classic.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 28 oz bag frozen steak fries
- 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp no-salt Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 6 oz part-skim mozzarella diced (~ 1cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Bake steak fries on a lined cookie sheet according to package instructions (until browned and crispy).
- While fries are baking, heat olive oil over medium heat in a small saucepan.Add onion and kosher salt and cook for 5-7 minutes or until soft.Add garlic, tomato sauce, and Italian seasoning and bring to a simmer.
- When ready to serve, top fries with sauce and sprinkle with cheese (place back in the oven for a moment to melt cheese).Garnish with basil and serve.