Have a pizzelle maker that you never touch taking up space in your kitchen? Put it to work with this simple, delicious creamy-crunchy Italian dessert. Wow your friends at your next party or whip up a batch to add a touch of authenticity to your next pasta night.
Servings: 32 cannoli
Basic Vanilla Pizzelle for Shells
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup melted butter
- 6 cups whole milk ricotta preferably fresh
- 3 cups mascarpone
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 TB + 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp allspice
- 3/4 tsp orange zest
- 1½ cups mini chocolate chips or grated dark chocolate
- Additional confectioners sugar for dusting
To make cannoli shells:
- Whisk together eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla extact. Stir in flour and baking powder until combined. Stir in melted butter. Heat pizzelle maker according to manufacturers instructions and scoop 1 heaping tsp pizzelle batter in each mold. Cook according to manufacturers instructions. As pizzelles come off the griddle mold around cannoli form and let cool.
To make Super Easy Cannoli Dip for filling:
- Beat together ricotta, mascarpone, confectioner’s sugar, vanilla, spices, and zest in a large bowl using a hand or stand mixer until fluffy and well combined. (A food processor or immersion blender would work too). Fold in chocolate and chill until mixture is firm.
- When ready to serve, place filling into a large plastic baggie or piping bag and trim the tip. Pipe cannoli into shells.
- Tip: it’s easiest to pipe half the filling in from either end so it meets in the middle. Dust with confectioners sugar and serve.
Cannoli shells and filling can be made up to 2 days ahead of serving. Just be sure to pipe the filling in just before serving to keep them crispy.
Calories: 359kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 68mg | Sodium: 101mg | Potassium: 155mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 12.3% | Vitamin C: 0.1% | Calcium: 15% | Iron: 7.2%