Pierogies with Sautéed Cabbage & Mushrooms
Crispy pierogies bake to a golden brown in the oven while you make the delicious sautéed veggie mixture to serve on the side.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 12 oz package potato and cheese pierogies 12 pierogies
- Butter flavored cooking spray
- 2 1/2 tsp salt divided
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups red onion thinly sliced (2 large)
- 1 8 oz package cremini mushrooms sliced (~3 cups)
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 tsp caraway seed
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp sour cream
- 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment and arrange pierogies on sheet. Spray tops with butter-flavored cooking spray and season with 1 tsp salt.Bake for 18 minutes, flipping half-way through for even browning.
- While pierogies bake, heat oil in a large non-stick sauté pan. Add onions and mushrooms and cook, stirring often, for approximately 10 minutes or until mushrooms have browned and onions are softened.
- Add cabbage, caraway, and pepper and cook for an additional 2 minutes or until cabbage has wilted. Set aside and keep warm. When pierogies are done serve with sautéed veggies. Garnish each dish with 1 tsp sour cream and parsley.
If you prefer your pierogies soft, just boil them for 8 minutes while the veggies are cooking. This method gets dinner on the table quicker too!