- 1 12 oz package potato and cheese pierogies 12 pierogies
- Butter flavored cooking spray
- 2 1/2 tsp salt divided
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups red onion thinly sliced (2 large)
- 1 8 oz package cremini mushrooms sliced (~3 cups)
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 tsp caraway seed
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp sour cream
- 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment and arrange pierogies on sheet. Spray tops with butter-flavored cooking spray and season with 1 tsp salt.Bake for 18 minutes, flipping half-way through for even browning.
While pierogies bake, heat oil in a large non-stick sauté pan. Add onions and mushrooms and cook, stirring often, for approximately 10 minutes or until mushrooms have browned and onions are softened.
Add cabbage, caraway, and pepper and cook for an additional 2 minutes or until cabbage has wilted. Set aside and keep warm. When pierogies are done serve with sautéed veggies. Garnish each dish with 1 tsp sour cream and parsley.
If you prefer your pierogies soft, just boil them for 8 minutes while the veggies are cooking. This method gets dinner on the table quicker too!