Pad Thai Stir Fry with Shrimp & Vegetables
Don't let the unique items on this ingredients list make you shy away. You can find them in the Asian section of most supermarkets, and they're wonderful flavors that can be used in a wide range of Asian-inspired dishes.
Servings: 4 servings
Pad Thai Sauce
- ¼ cup Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
- 3 TB low sodium soy sauce
- 2 TB dark brown sugar
- 1 TB fish sauce
- 1 TB tomato paste
- 1 TB lime juice
- 2 tsp sambal oelek hot chili sauce
- 2 tsp peanut oil
- 1 ½ tsp garlic paste
- 1 ½ tsp tamarind paste or substitute 1 tsp pureed prunes mixed with ½ tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp peanut oil
- 1 lb frozen shrimp ~20 large defrosted and deveined
- 3 cups sliced onion
- 2 large red peppers thinly sliced
- 1 14 oz bag coleslaw mix or substitute 3 cups shredded cabbage and 3 cups shredded carrot
- ½ cup sliced scallions
- ¼ cup minced cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped salted peanuts
- Whisk together all Pad Thai sauce ingredients and reserve (can be made up to 3 days ahead and stored in the refrigerator).
- Heat 1 tsp peanut oil on high in a large non-stick skillet or wok. Cook shrimp for 5-6 minutes per side or until lightly browned and cooked through. Remove to a plate. Add onions and peppers to pan and continue to cook for 5-10 minutes or until onions soften and peppers are crisp-tender. Add cole slaw mix and cooked shrimp to pan, pour sauce over all and toss to combine and heat through. Remove from heat and stir in scallions and cilantro. Serve topped with peanuts.
The Pad Thai sauce ingredients can all be found in the Asian section of most supermarkets.