Oven-Fried Onion Rings w Chili Garlic Dip
Lighten up your favorite fast food indulgence by soaking sweet onions in buttermilk to soften them up, then coat them in a spiced cornmeal panko coating for super crispy straight from the oven results!
Servings: 24 onion rings
- 2 large sweet onions cut into ½” thick rings
- 3 cups low fat buttermilk
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup seasoned panko
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- pinch cayenne
- cooking spray
Chili Garlic Dipping Sauce
- 2 TB light mayonnaise
- 1 TB ketchup
- 1 TB buttermilk
- 2 tsp chili garlic sauce
- Place onion rings in a large zippered baggie and soak in buttermilk for 4 hours to overnight. Note: there’s no need to separate the rings.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place silicone baking liners on two baking sheets.
- Place eggs in a small shallow bowl. Mix together cornmeal, seasoned panko, salt, paprika, and cayenne in a shallow dish.
- Remove rings from buttermilk, dip in egg and dredge in cornmeal mixture. It’s ok if some rings don’t separate – using 2 rings together results in thicker onion rings!
- Arrange rings on silicone baking sheets. Bake for 15 minutes. Flip onion rings and bake for another 10 minutes or until crispy.
- Mix together dipping sauce ingredients and serve with onion rings.
Calories: 49kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 142mg | Potassium: 97mg | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1.2% | Vitamin C: 2% | Calcium: 4.8% | Iron: 1.9%