No need to even boil water for the pasta in this 30-minute one-pot supper! My spin on the classic Italian comfort food pairing of spicy sausage and broccoli rabe makes for a hearty yet healthy weeknight meal … with easy cleanup to boot.
One-Pot Pasta with Turkey Sausage & Broccoli Rabe
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 lb spicy Italian turkey sausage casings removed
- 1 large onion diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cloves garlic large, minced
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 8 oz orecchiete pasta
- 2 lbs broccoli rabe stems trimmed and leaves coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup Parmesean cheese fresh grated, divided
- 1 TB lemon juice
- 1 TB lemon zest
- 1/3 cup fresh basil chopped for garnish
- Add olive oil to a large soup pot or Dutch oven set over medium-high heat and cook sausage, stirring often and breaking apart with a wooden spoon, until well-browned (about 8 minutes). Remove sausage to a bowl.
- Add onion and salt and cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring often, until onion is softened.
- Add garlic and hot pepper flakes and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth and increase heat to high. Bring to a boil, add pasta, and cook for 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add broccoli rabe and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes or until pasta is al dente.
- Stir in cooked sausage, ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Serve garnished with remaining parmesan and topped with chopped basil.