- Cooking spray
- 1 lb spicy Italian turkey sausage casings removed
- 1 large onion diced
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 large cloves garlic minced
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 qt chicken broth
- 8 oz orecchiete pasta
- 2 lbs broccoli rabe stems trimmed and leaves coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese divided
- 2 TB lemon juice
- 1 TB lemon zest
- 1/3 cup fresh basil chopped
Coat a large nonstick soup pot with cooking spray. Heat over medium high heat and cook sausage, stirring often and breaking apart with a wooden spoon, until well-browned (about 8 minutes). Remove sausage to a bowl.
Add onion and salt and cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring often, until onion is softened. Add garlic and hot pepper flakes and cook for an additional 1 minute.
Add chicken broth and increase heat to high. Bring to a boil, add pasta, and cook for 7 minutes, stirring frequently. Add broccoli rabe and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes or until pasta is al dente.
Stir in cooked sausage, 3 TB Parmesan, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Serve garnished with basil and dusted with remaining 1 TB Parmesan cheese.