Mushroom and Swiss Breakfast Casserole
This tasty casserole layers easy pre-shredded hash brown potatoes with mushrooms, onions, and Swiss for a hearty take on everyone’s favorite potato pancakes.
Servings: 12 servings
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 4 onions thinly sliced
- 4 8 oz packages sliced cremini mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 TB rosemary minced
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt divided
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 20 oz package refrigerated hash brown potatoes
- 2 cups shredded low fat Swiss cheese
- 12 eggs
- 1 ½ cups low fat milk
- 2 TB grainy Dijon mustard
- fresh chives for garnish
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with olive oil cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add onions, mushrooms, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper and cook for 10 minutes or until veggies are softened. Stir in garlic and rosemary and cook for an additional minute.
- Coat the inside of slow cooker with cooking spray. Place 1/3 potatoes in bottom, top with 1/2 veggie mixture and 2/3 cup cheese. Repeat with another 1/3 potatoes, remaining veggies, 2/3 cup cheese. Finish layering with remaining 1/3 cup potatoes.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, mustard, and remaining 1 tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Pour over layers and top with remaining cheese. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until potatoes are softened. Serve topped with chopped chives.
Serve with: additional grainy mustard, hot sauce, and light sour cream for topping. Pair with chunky applesauce, a garden salad, smoked salmon, and mini bagels with light cream cheese.
Calories: 258kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 172mg | Sodium: 613mg | Potassium: 467mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 6.1% | Vitamin C: 11.6% | Calcium: 25.5% | Iron: 7%