This lightened up version of typically heavy Mexican casserole is veggie-packed and super delicious. Savory chicken chorizo adds heft and flavor while a shredded cheese and sour cream topping gives this recipe a rich finish.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper chopped
- 1 poblano pepper chopped
- 12 oz cremini mushrooms chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp oregano
- 12 oz package chicken chorizo chopped
- 1 TB lime juice
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 ½ cups salsa divided
- 1 ½ cups reduced fat shredded Mexican 4-cheese
- 6 TB reduced fat sour cream
- chopped scallion and cilantro for garnish
- optional: hot sauce and lime wedges for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a large lasagna pan with cooking spray.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add onions, peppers, mushrooms, and salt and cook, stirring frequently, until veggies are softened (approximately 10 minutes). Stir in garlic, cumin, oregano, chicken chorizo, and lime juice and cook for an additional 2 minutes to heat through.
- Spread 1 cup salsa on bottom of prepared lasagna pan. Spoon ½ cup veggie and chorizo filling into each tortilla and roll. Place filled tortilla seam down in pan. Repeat with remaining tortillas and arrange in pan.
- Spread remaining 1 ½ cups salsa over the top and sprinkle with cheese. Cover and bake for 15-20 minutes to heat through and to melt cheese.
- Serve topped with sour cream, scallion, cilantro, and optional hot sauce and lime wedges.