Moroccan Eggplant with Chick Pea Tabouli Stuffing
This hearty stuffing invokes the flavors of Morocco with eggplant, cumin and coriander. It's a beautiful side dish that goes great with lamb shank or a simple roast chicken.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 TB olive oil divided
- 6 Japanese eggplants halved lengthwise
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 4 plum tomatoes large, seeded and diced
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup mint chopped
- 1/4 cup preserved lemon finely chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- lemon wedges and additional parsley for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a 9x13” baking pan with foil.
- Score the cut side of each eggplant half diagonally 1” apart. Place in pan cut side up and brush generously with 1 TB olive oil.
- Combine salt, cumin, coriander, and smoked paprika in a small bowl. Sprinkle eggplant with 2 tsp of spice mixture.
- Roast for 20 minutes or until extremely tender and lightly browned.
- While eggplant roasts prepare tabouli. Cook bulgur according to package instructions (and if needed, drain well).
- In a medium bowl, combine cooked bulgur with tomatoes, chick peas, parsley, and mint.
- Stir together preserved lemon, remaining 1 TB olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and remaining spice blend. Pour over bulgur mixture and toss to coat.
- Cut roasted eggplant in half widthwise and serve 2 pieces topped with salad. Garnish with feta, parsley, and a lemon wedge.
Calories: 186kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 538mg | Potassium: 701mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 16.4% | Vitamin C: 18.9% | Calcium: 10.1% | Iron: 8.6%