Mom's Favorite Lemon Bars
This sneakily lightened up take on everyone’s favorite lemon bar is a surefire hit! Buttery lemon-shortbread is topped with a creamy sweet-tart topping in these delicious tea time classics.
Servings: 12 bars
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3 TB sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 TB unsalted butter melted and cooled to room temperature
- 2 tsp cold water
- 3 eggs separated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 TB lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 TB all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tsp powdered sugar
- 1 pint fresh raspberries for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a 9x9” baking pan with cooking spray.
To Make Crust
- Stir together flour, sugar, salt, and lemon zest. Drizzle with butter and water, and press with a fork until small clumps form and mixture is damp. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake for 10-12 minutes or until beginning to brown. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
To Make Filling
- While crust bakes prepare the topping. Stir together egg yolks, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate large bowl beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into yolk mixture until combined. Pour over crust and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Let cool completely before slicing. Serve garnished with powdered sugar and raspberries.
Calories: 150kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 138mg | Potassium: 114mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 2.6% | Vitamin C: 18.3% | Calcium: 2.6% | Iron: 5%