Mexican Chicken with Hominy & Zucchini
This is a delicious recipe that's great alone or stuffed in tacos or burritos. Mexican flavors are invoked in this shredded chicken dish with hominy and zucchini, and they go perfectly with avocado or a dollop of sour cream for a rich finish.
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 TB minced garlic
- 1 ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried coriander
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 15 oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes with chilis
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 15 oz can hominy rinsed and drained
- 2 small zucchini cut into chunks
- ¼ cup minced cilantro
- Heat oil in a large non stick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and salt and cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened. Add garlic and spices and cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, and chicken breasts. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. (If liquid doesn’t cover chicken, flip over half way through cooking).
- When done, remove chicken breasts from braising liquid to rest on a plate for 10 minutes. Add hominy and zucchini to pan and increase heat to reduce liquid. Cook for 10 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Use two forks to shred chicken breasts and stir into mixture with cilantro.
Calories: 746kcal | Carbohydrates: 123g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 4916mg | Potassium: 1721mg | Fiber: 22g | Sugar: 34g | Vitamin A: 73.4% | Vitamin C: 113.3% | Calcium: 32.4% | Iron: 56.5%