Mexican Breakfast Tamale Casserole
This Mexican-inspired breakfast casserole is reminiscent of traditional tamale. Prepare it ahead of time for an easy way to serve a crowd for brunch.
Servings: 6 servings
- Cooking spray
- 3 links spicy Italian turkey sausage casing removed
- 1 TB kosher salt divided
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 8 oz package sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 4.5 oz can diced green chilis drained
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 9 small corn tortillas halved
- 1 1/3 cup low-fat shredded Mexican cheese
- 3 cups egg substitute
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- ¾ cup bottled salsa verde
- If baking casserole right away, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a large 8x10” baking dish with cooking spray. Coat a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Cook turkey sausage until cooked through, breaking up into small pieces as it cooks with a spatula. Remove to a large bowl. Add onions, mushrooms and red pepper and cook until all liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are beginning to brown. Add mixture to cooked sausage in bowl and stir in green chilis, oregano, and cumin.
- Spoon 1/3 sausage-vegetable mixture into prepared baking dish. Layer with 6 corn tortilla halves. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup cheese. Repeat for 2 more layers (reserving last 1/3 cup cheese for later).
- Whisk together egg substitute, milk, and remaining 2 tsp salt and pour over casserole. Bake covered with foil for 1 hour. Remove foil, top with remaining 1/3 cup cheese, and cook for an additional 10-15 minute or until top is browned and center is cooked through. Let cool slightly before serving, cut into 6 pieces, and serve each topped with 2 TB salsa verde.
This casserole can also be prepared the night before to put in the oven in the morning.Adjust the cooking time slightly to allow for more time.
Calories: 1626kcal | Carbohydrates: 189g | Protein: 140g | Fat: 39g | Saturated Fat: 20g | Cholesterol: 103mg | Sodium: 10376mg | Potassium: 4113mg | Fiber: 30g | Sugar: 51g | Vitamin A: 128.3% | Vitamin C: 241.3% | Calcium: 275.7% | Iron: 124.6%