Mexican Breakfast Casserole
Delicious for breakfast or brunch, this chorizo cheddar tortilla casserole is a big hit with everyone in the family.
Servings: 12 servings
- 2 red bell peppers chopped
- 1 poblano pepper chopped
- 2 red onions chopped
- 2 tsp salt divided
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 9 oz chicken chorizo sausage finely minced
- 16 corn tortillas
- 2 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- chopped scallions cilantro, and lime wedges for garnish
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Cook peppers and onion over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes or until slightly softened. Add 1 tsp salt, cumin, garlic, and chorizo and heat through.
- Coat slow cooker with cooking spray. Place 4 tortillas in bottom, top with 1/3 pepper mixture and ½ cup cheese. Repeat to make 3 layers and finish with 4 tortillas.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, and remaining 1 tsp salt. Pour over casserole and top with remaining ½ cup cheddar cheese. Cover and bake on low for 6-8 hours or 2 hours on high. Serve garnished with scallion, cilantro, and lime wedges.
Serve with: Mexican Jicama Salad with Clementines, baby bell peppers and crudité, salsa, guacamole, and baked chips
Calories: 310kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 187mg | Sodium: 856mg | Potassium: 384mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 19.1% | Vitamin C: 46.3% | Calcium: 18.5% | Iron: 11.5%