Mediterranean Quinoa-Stuffed Peppers
Vegetarians and meat eaters alike will love this hearty Mediterranean-inspired entrée. The flavors of Kalamata olives, pesto, and chickpeas combine in a tangy stuffing, while a feta garnish invites you to dig in. Plus, hearty quinoa provides a punch of protein!
Servings: 4 peppers
- 4 red bell peppers
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 14.5 oz can of Italian-style diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed if package indicates
- ¼ cup chopped Kalmata olives
- 1 cup canned chickpeas
- 1 TB prepared pesto
- ¼ cup crumbled low-fat feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Heat olive oil on medium heat in a medium sized saucepan. Add onion and ½ tsp kosher salt and cook, stirring occasionally for 8-10 minutes or until onion softens. Add garlic to pan and cook for an additional minute. Add entire can of tomatoes/liquid, quinoa, 1 cup of water, and 1 tsp salt to pan. Stir well to combine, turn heat to high, and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender.
- Meanwhile, slice the tops off the peppers; remove core, ribs and seeds. Reserve tops for another use. Make a thin slice across the bottom of each pepper so it will sit flatly on a plate, and place on a cooking spray coated, foil-lined baking sheet.
- When quinoa is done, stir in olives, chickpeas, and pesto. Place approximately 1 cup of quinoa mixture into each pepper and bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes. Sprinkle 1 TB feta cheese on each pepper and return to oven for 5 minutes, until feta is slightly melted.
Calories: 1310kcal | Carbohydrates: 196g | Protein: 48g | Fat: 39g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 34mg | Sodium: 1596mg | Potassium: 3472mg | Fiber: 38g | Sugar: 40g | Vitamin A: 383.1% | Vitamin C: 825.2% | Calcium: 47.8% | Iron: 75.5%