Margherita Pizza on Eggplant
Eggplant "crusts" replace the typical carb-laden version, and serve as a perfect base for traditional margherita ingredients. Simply slice and roast eggplant and you're ready for toppings in this easy, fun-to-make dish.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 large eggplant peeled, cut into 12 ¼” thick slices
- 1/2 cup bottled pizza sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
- 6 oz coarse grated fresh mozzarella 3/4 cup
- 12 basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking pan with parchment. Arrange eggplant slices evenly on parchment with space between.
- Roast for 10-15 minutes or until bottoms are well browned, flip and roast an additional 10 minutes to evenly brown.
- Cool for 5 minutes on a rack.
- Combine pizza sauce, garlic, and red pepper in a small bowl.
- Spread 2 tsp sauce across each eggplant slice and top with 1 TB mozzarella.
- Arrange pizzas on a rack and return to oven for 5 minutes or until mozzarella melts. Garnish each with a basil leaf and serve immediately
Calories: 165kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 430mg | Potassium: 395mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 10.6% | Vitamin C: 6.3% | Calcium: 22.9% | Iron: 4.2%