Lemony Tabouli with Quinoa, Chickpeas & Feta
A healthier take on the traditional Middle Eastern version, this delicious salad is a perfect make-ahead picnic dish or packable desk lunch. We like storing ours in adorable mason jars for ultimate portability. Thanks to the protein punch of quinoa and chickpeas, this also works as a hearty vegetarian entrée (just make sure to get vegetarian feta).
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 ¾ cups water
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt divided
- 3 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TB lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 15 oz can chick peas rinsed and drained
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1 cup cucumber seeded, diced
- 2/3 cup minced red onion
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 6 TB crumbled feta cheese
- Optional: lemon wedges for serving
- Combine quinoa, water, and ¼ tsp salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender and water is absorbed. Place quinoa in a large bowl, fluff with a fork, and let cool.
- Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, remaining 1 ¼ tsp salt, and pepper. Pour over quinoa and toss to combine. Fold in chick peas, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, mint, and parsley. Serve garnished with feta cheese and a lemon wedge.
Calories: 295kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 991mg | Potassium: 421mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 12.5% | Vitamin C: 15% | Calcium: 14.5% | Iron: 15.6%