Kale Sauté with Back Bacon & Dijon
This savory side dish features slightly bitter kale paired perfectly with Dijon mustard and back bacon. Serve it alongside roast chicken and potatoes for a comforting dinner.
Servings: 4 servings
- 3 lbs kale washed, tough center stems removed, leaves coarsely torn
- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups red onion thinly sliced
- 1 6 oz package Canadian bacon diced
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 TB cider vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Cook kale in a 6 quart pot of boiling salted water (4 quarts water, 1 tsp salt) for 7-8 minutes. Use a pair of tongs to push kale down into the water so it will all fit at once. Drain in a colander, pressing out excess water, and reserve.
- Heat oil in the same pot and sweat onion over medium heat, stirring frequently, until soft (~10 minutes). Add Canadian bacon and cook for 3 minutes to lightly brown. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute. Add kale and use tongs to mix in with onions and bacon and thoroughly heat through. Stir in vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper and serve.
Calories: 1128kcal | Carbohydrates: 126g | Protein: 100g | Fat: 40g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 99mg | Sodium: 4171mg | Potassium: 7404mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 2718.8% | Vitamin C: 1982.9% | Calcium: 205.7% | Iron: 118.6%