Molten Dark Chocolate Lava Cakes
These luxuriously rich little cakes are sure to impress with their warm flowing centers and elegant dark chocolate espresso finish. Even better? It takes just a few simple ingredients and a quick bake in your oven or Instant Pot to make this dessert that truly wows!
- 1 TB butter for coating ramekins
- 1 TB granulated sugar
- 1 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp espresso powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup confectioners sugar additional for garnish
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 eggs
- Optional raspberries for garnish
- Grease the bottom and sides of four 6 oz ramekins with 1 TB butter. Sprinkle with granulated sugar to coat and shake out excess. In a medium-sized microwave safe bowl combine stick of butter and chocolate chips. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir, and repeat until smooth and fully melted. (Or melt chocolate over low heat on the stovetop in a small saucepan.) Let cool slightly, then stir in salt, espresso powder, vanilla extract, confectioners sugar, eggs, and flour until just combined. Divide batter evenly across prepared ramekins and cover with foil. For Oven: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place filled ramekins on a baking sheet and bake in oven for 12 minutes (top centers will still look slightly wet when done). For Instant Pot: Pour 1 1/2 cups water into the Instant Pot and place trivet in water. Layer 3 ramekins on the trivet and place 1 more on top in the middle like a pyramid to fit all 4. Close and seal the Instant Pot and set to cook on High Pressure for 8 minutes. When done cooking carefully quick release steam, open lid, and use hot mitts to remove ramekins. Let cool for 1 minute before running a knife around the rim and un-molding onto plates. Garnish with confectioners sugar and optional raspberries and enjoy! May be made the day before and reheated in a 300 oven for 5 minutes to gently warm.
Chef’s Tip: Swap in one cup of chopped flavored dark chocolate to give your own twist to these decadent cakes . You can also make these ahead and gently rewarm after dinner in the ramekins in the oven for a minute or two to serve warm.
Calories: 450kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 138mg | Sodium: 291mg | Potassium: 341mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 33g | Vitamin A: 355IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 155mg | Iron: 1.6mg