Instant Pot Korean Braised Short Ribs (Galbi Jim)
Let your Instant Pot do all the work…these highly addictive, sweet-spicy, and fall off the bone Korean ribs couldn’t be simpler to make with the magic of pressure cooking! Delicious over rice or shredded for Korean tacos; they’re sure to become a favorite.
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 Asian or Bosc pear peeled and cut into chunks
- 8 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 TB minced ginger
- 1/3 cup mirin rice wine
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 TB sesame oil
- 1 TB sesame seeds
- Generous pinch cayenne or 1/2 tsp Korean Chili Flakes Gochugaru
- 3 to 4 lbs bone in short ribs
- Optional garnishes: shredded carrot shredded daikon, cilantro, scallions, kimchi, sliced cucumber, additional sesame seeds and Korean chili flakes
- Combine all ingredients but short ribs in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Place short ribs vertically in bottom of Instant Pot. Pour marinade over the top. Seal lid and set to cook on High Pressure for 45 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for 10-15 minutes, open lid, and skim any fat off the surface of the sauce. Serve ribs with sauce over rice and optional garnishes or shredded off the bone in tacos or other dishes.
Chef Tips: If you like, the ribs can be marinated up to 1 day ahead for even more flavor. You can also cook these up to 2 days before serving and store them in the sauce in the refrigerator. Just gently reheat and enjoy!
Calories: 124kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 825mg | Potassium: 142mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin C: 4.7% | Calcium: 4.2% | Iron: 4.5%